Gaza, Israel and Ground Operations
Digest more
Top News
Impacts
Israel’s military is “switching gears” in Gaza, dividing and seizing more parts of the strip, a move observers say could mean Israel establishing deeper, more long-term control over the territory.
From CNN
Israel said on March 19 that its forces resumed ground operations in the central and southern Gaza Strip.
From Reuters
Read more on News Digest
Israel resumed its military offensive in Gaza in March, blaming Hamas for rejecting a new US proposal to extend the ceasefire and free the remaining hostages. Since then, the Israeli military has launched waves of airstrikes on the besieged territory,
The scandal lighting up Israel, more than any other, is known locally as “Qatar-gate.” (Yes, that’s what it’s called in Hebrew, too .) The short version of the story goes something like this:
"Two days ago, we received a proposal from the mediators in Egypt and Qatar," said Hamas chief, Khalil al-Hayya.
The Hamas militant group said Saturday it has accepted a new Gaza ceasefire proposal from mediators Egypt and Qatar, but Israel said it has made a counter-proposal in "full coordination" with the third mediator, the United States.
An already fragile ceasefire between Israel and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah appeared to be on shakier ground after rockets fired from Lebanon into northern Israel triggered Israeli airstrikes in the suburbs of Beirut.
5don MSN
Israel has launched an attack on the Lebanese capital Beirut for the first time since a ceasefire ended the latest Israel-Hezbollah war in November.
France and Lebanon say Israel violated its ceasefire with Hezbollah with a strike in Beirut, as deaths mount in Gaza after Israel abandoned its ceasefire with Hamas.
The second was Israel’s history of decision-making, particularly when it comes to Palestinians: Phased deals don’t usually work. Case in point is the phased, conditional Oslo peace process during the 1990s that Palestinians saw as a path to an eventual Palestinian state and a permanent end to the conflict, neither of which materialized.
Israel’s military struck Beirut for the first time since a ceasefire between the country and the Lebanon-based Hezbollah militant group started in November.
Israel launched retaliatory strikes against Lebanon amid a shaky ceasefire with the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah brokered late last year, according to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). The
The announcement came after Netanyahu’s defense minister said that Israel would seize large areas of Gaza and add them to its so-called security zones.