Pete Hegseth, Signal and Pentagon
Digest more
Top News
Impacts
Hegseth and other senior administration officials have repeatedly denied that he shared classified info in the group chat.
From NBC News
Outside experts and former defense officials have argued the texts put American troops at higher risk and were almost certainly classified, something Hegseth has denied.
From Yahoo
Read more on News Digest
The Pentagon’s acting inspector general has announced that he will review Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s use of the Signal messaging app to convey plans for a military strike against Houthi militants in Yemen.
The use of the Signal messaging app by top Trump officials came to light after The Atlantic's editor was added to a group chat about planned Houthi strikes.
The Pentagon inspector general's office said it would evaluate Hegseth's use of Signal to discuss strikes against the Houthis.
The evaluation will look into whether Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth complied with department policies when using a Signal group chat last month.
The Pentagon inspector general’s office said Thursday that it will scrutinize disclosures made by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth using the unclassified messaging app Signal, as he and other top Trump administration officials coordinated a highly sensitive military operation last month in Yemen,
The handling of private military discussions among top officials has triggered US security concerns, including from GOP lawmakers.
The Pentagon's inspector general launched a probe into the Trump administration's use of Signal to discuss a planned strike on the Houthis in Yemen.
The independent watchdog said it would assess whether the defense secretary followed department policies when he shared military strike plans in a group chat.